For a more extensive history of The Train Depot click here.
An excerpt from the "A walking tour of our village" brochure available at the Altamont Museum.
After the first passenger train passed through Altamont in 1863, the Albany and Susquehanna Railroad company erected a permanent depot. The building served as both a combination passenger and freight station. The station agents were enterprising businessment who sold building materials, feed and coal from the depot. The first post office was held in the depot with Henry Hawkins as the station agent and postmaster. As the Village grew, summer visitors used the railroad to visit Altamont Hotels and lakeside boarding houses on the mountain. In 1896, the railroad company replaced the old structure. The last passenger train passed through Altamont on January 24, 1963 after a century of service. The historic building is listed on the registry of historical buildings and was purchased by the Altamont Free Library.